Apply for PAN Card Online | PAN Card Download and Track Status | PAN Card Types & Form | PAN stands for “Permanent Account Number.” It is a 10-digit code with letters and numbers that is used to identify people. To stop people from not paying taxes, the income tax department is in charge of giving this number to every possible taxpayer. This is possible because PAN is an electronic system that keeps track of what every tax-paying citizen does with their money. Private tax evasion costs exceed Rs. 300,000 crores in income tax. So it becomes the responsibility of citizens to know what the Pan Card must be used for and all details related to it. So that is why in today’s article we will learn everything related to Permanent Account Number. Additionally, how to download and apply online and all the latest updates till 2022.
What is a PAN Card?
PAN stands for “Permanent Account Number.” PAN identifies taxpayers in the nation. It is a 10-digit alphanumeric number issued to Indians, predominantly tax-payers.
The PAN system provides every Indian taxpayer with a unique ID number. All tax-related information for a person is stored against a single PAN number. No two taxpaying organizations may have the same PAN since it’s shared nationwide. A PAN is a number, but a PAN Card includes your PAN, name, date of birth (DoB), father’s or spouse’s name, and picture. This card serves as ID and DOB. Your PAN Card is lifelong since address changes don’t impact it.
Keep in mind: the deadline for linking PAN and Aadhaar cards is March 31, 2023.
What Information is Available on a PAN Card?
Generally, it includes the name, father’s name, DOB, 10-character PAN number, picture, and signature of the cardholder.
- The 10-digit alphanumeric number is produced with each character in the PAN number representing a unique piece of decoded information.
- The first three letters are strictly alpha-numeric and include three alphabetic letters.
- The fourth letter of a taxpayer’s PAN indicates the kind of taxpayer the company or person is. A – Association of Individuals B – Group of Persons C – Company F – Businesses G – Government H – Hindu Undivided Family L – Local Authority J – Synthetic Judicial Entity P – Individual T – Association of Trust Beneficiaries
- The fifth letter is the first letter of the person’s last name.
- The remaining characters are determined by chance.
Business Permanent Account Number won’t include photos or the father’s names. The DOB is changed to the company’s registration date and the cardholder’s name to the company’s name.
What Makes the PAN Number Crucial?
It is a vital document for taxpayers since it tracks the input and withdrawal of money. Additionally, a Permanent Account Number will keep track of how much tax you pay.
If anyone is eligible for tax from the government, not having a Permanent Account Number means:
- India’s Income Tax Department imposes a 30% flat tax on income and wealth. This law applies to tax-eligible persons and businesses, including foreign nationals and enterprises registered outside India.
- you cant be able to buy a car, buy property exceeding Rs. 10 lakh, or open a bank account.
- Unable to execute financial and purchasing operations if an individual has any businesses running.
PAN QR Code Reader
Enhanced QR Code Reader reads PAN Card details. The applicant doesn’t require a login or registration. The software allows the camera to read the PAN Cardholder’s information from the QR Code. After the app scans the QR Code, the applicant must agree not to misuse the data.
Who Is the Issuing Body?
The Income Tax Department gives out Permanent Account Numbers with the help of UTI ITSL and NSDL, which are authorized PAN agencies at the district level. Protean e-Gov Technologies Limited runs TIN-Facilitation Centres and PAN Centres all over the country to help people get their PAN Cards.
The History of PAN Card in the Country
Prior to the introduction of the PAN, taxpayers were allotted a GIR number. As There was no digitization. This was mostly a manual method that was specific to a particular ward or a single examining authority. Due to the fact that the GIR is not unique, there is a greater possibility of miscalculations, mistakes, and incidents of mistaken identity during tax assessment.
The Indian government rolled out the PAN system in 1972. In 1976, all tax-paying people were required to get a PAN number, which was before optional. Initially, PAN numbers were assigned manually, and to prevent duplication, each ward/circle was assigned a distinct range of numbers. 1995 marked the conclusion of this series.
How Many Different Types of PAN Cards Exist?
The types of pan cards are:
- PAN (for a government agency)
- An Artificial Juridical Person
- PAN Card for Indian Individuals
- A PAN Card for Indian Companies
- A PAN for People Living Abroad
- PAN for foreign companies
- The Association of Persons
- A Limited Liability Partnership
- Body of Individuals (BOI)
- PAN for Partnership Firm
- PAN for Trust
- PAN for the Hindu Undivided Family (HUF)
- PAN for Local Authority.
If you wish to apply for a PAN Card, you should be aware that the application forms that are required by each of the entities on the list are distinct from one another. Continue reading to find out more information about the application procedure!
PAN Card Benefits
In many situations, the Permanent Account Number is a very important way to prove who you are. Besides, it is a mandatory document to have for the completion of several following procedures, including:-
- Taxpayers need a Permanent Account Number because it is needed for all financial transactions and is used to keep track of how much money comes in and how much goes out.
- It is important when you pay income tax, get a tax refund, or hear from the Income Tax Department.
- PAN cards can be used as ID cards in different schemes or for different reasons.
- A PAN card will keep track of how much tax you pay.
- When you file your income tax return or ITR, you must include your PAN.
- With a Permanent Account Number, you can get utility connections such as electricity, phone, gas, and the internet.
- If you link your bank account to your PAN, you can get a refund if the TDS you paid was more than the actual tax you owed.
- Pan helps in buying and selling property, such as a house or a car, that is worth more than Rs. 10 lakh.
- When registering a business, you need to give your PAN number.
- Payments of bonds, shares, and insurance policies worth more than Rs.50000.
- When you do a financial transaction worth more than Rs.50000, you must show your PAN card.
- Pan Card acts as a credential that is required to deposit more than Rs.50000 in cash in a single day.
- Life insurance premiums that cost more than Rs.5 Lakh in a financial year.
- Payments made for trips abroad will be taxed if the amount is more than Rs 25,000.
- To move money from a Non-Resident External Account (NRE) to a Non-Resident Ordinary Account (NRO). Since NRE is a tax-free account and NRO is taxable and while transferring to a taxable one, you need a Permanent Account Number.
- If payments are made for jewelry and precious metals worth more than Rs 5 lakh.
- To buy shares in a mutual fund,
- Any vehicle other than a two-wheeler can be sold or bought, like 2 wheelers, autos, or heavy vehicles.
- When more than Rs 25,000 is paid to a hotel, motel, or restaurant pan card can be used.
- In order to send money outside of India, you need to have a pan card.
PAN Card Eligibility
Here’s a list of organizations eligible for a Permanent Account Number under Section 139A of the Income Tax Act.
- Any person who has paid tax or is liable to pay tax to the Income Tax Department.
- A company owner with Rs. 5 lakh in yearly sales.
- Karta or family head of every Hindu Undivided Family (HUF).
- Any corporation, LLP, AOP/BOI, etc.
- charity, trust, or organization.
- Any possible future taxpayer who is still a minor must apply for a PAN card.
- All overseas participants in an Indian subsidiary foreign-investment enterprise.
- The applicant must have a current Aadhar
In a nutshell: In India, PAN cards are granted to everyone who pays tax, including people, corporations, students, children, Hindu Undivided Families, limited liability partnerships, associations of persons, trusts, artificial juridical persons, local authorities, partnership firms, non-residents, etc.
Documents Required to Apply for PAN Card
According to Form 49A or Form 49AA, the applicant must have the following documents:
For individual applicants, generally:
Aadhaar- Any picture identification card issued by a state or central government agency or a public sector arms license. An authentic bank document on the bank’s letterhead and issued by the branch where the account holder maintains an account. This document must be verified by the authority providing it and contain an attested image of the applicant along with the bank account number.
Address Proof of the applicant any one of the following can do the work
- Indian Bank account statement.
- Postpaid cell phone bills (like in Gio, Airtel, Vodafone, BSNL, etc.)
- bill for electricity and broadband Internet service.
- credit card statements (banks that are from India only).
- The gas connection bill
- Passbook for the Post Office
- Deposit account statement
- driving license,
- Voter ID card.
Date of Birth Proof (any one of the following is enough)
- Passport 10th Certificate
- Driving License, Domicile Certificate
- Municipal Authority-issued DOB Certificate
- Marriage Certificates issued by the Registrar of Marriages
If the applicant comes from an undivided Hindu family (HUF), they must provide:
Identity proof, address proof, date of birth, and proof of nationality. An affidavit was issued by the Karta of the HUF.
For Companies, the documents are:
The Registration Certificate is issued by the Registrar of Companies.
Documents for individuals who are not Indian Citizens
- Proof of Identity
- Proof of Address
How You Can Get a PAN Card Offline
- Go to the official PAN Center.
- Get a PAN CARD form, fill it out, and attach a photo and some documents (ID, Address Proof)
- Submit the form and the fees for processing to the PAN Centre.
- Your Permanent Account Number will be sent to you through the mail at your address.
|Shram Suvidha Portal|
|UIDAI New Bhuvan Aadhaar Portal|
|Portal to Find Lost Mobile Phone|
How You Can Get a PAN Card Online
- Downloading a PAN Card for Indian citizens needs Form 49A.
- Foreign entities must file Form 49AA.
- PAN Card download requires Aadhar and residential address.
- Applicants may get a Permanent Account Number from NSDL or UTIITSL websites, or through a mobile app with a few clicks.
Filling Out Form 49A or 49AA for PAN Online
Four options are there for filling out the PAN Card form online and they are:
a) Physical form submission b) e-KYC based c) e-Sign option d) Digital Signature-based.
- Physical form: First, pick the individual’s category before applying for a Permanent Account Number. Then, fill out the form with precise facts and double-check it before paying the money. Pay the PAN Card cost online and you’ll get a Form 49A or 49AA and a payment receipt through e-mail will be received. Now print and attach two passport-sized photos (the background should be white Sign and attach the required papers. Send it to NSDL’s Income Tax PAN Services Unit at Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8, Model Colony, Near Deep Bungalow Chowk, Pune 411016.
- e-KYC: the applicant’s Aadhaar data are acquired for the PAN card application, and the card is mailed to the Aadhaar Card’s residence address.
- c) e-Sign Approach: This method requires uploading needed papers and a scanned picture. NSDL needs physically attested papers.
- c) Signature-based This approach requires uploading papers, photos, and proven supporting documents to NSDL.
How to get PAN Card?
- Visit UTIITSL or NSDL’s websites.
- From the homepage, go to the “Online application”
- Click “Application Type” and select Form 49A or 49AA. First is for Indian candidates, second for foreigners.
- Fill out the remaining required information, then click “Submit.”Click “PAN Application Form“.
- Next, you’ll see your chosen application form.
- Upload documents and click “Submit.”
- Make PAN card payment, get a receipt,
- You’ll get an OTP on your registered mobile number after authenticating your Aadhaar number. Apply using the OTP.
- The acknowledgment will be given in PDF format which is open by the DOB of the applicant and the format must be followed in the password by date then month then a year and no spaces are required.
PAN Card Download NSDL
- Go to NSDL Portal’s main website and select Download e-PAN Card.
- PAN, Aadhar, birthdate, and GSTN are required.
- Now input the Captcha code. Select “Submit” for OTP.
- OTP is sent to the linked cellphone and email id.
- Choose and click on OTP. Enter the OTP and click validate.
- Click “Download PDF” after approval.
- The e-PAN card PDF is password-protected.
- The password is the birthdate.
- You have downloaded the card. So there is no price for an e-PAN Card download.
PAN Card Download Through UTIITSL
- Click here for PAN Card services on the UTIITSL portal.
- Click on Download e-PAN then enter details of PAN, Aadhar, birthdate, and GSTN are required
- 10-digit alphanumeric PAN Documents should include your birthdate.
- GSTIN needed Please enter the captcha code. Review and submit your information.
- Now you’ll get a link on your phone or email. You may download the e-PAN Card using the OTP. No price for an e-PAN Card download.
Download PAN Card Through App
- Download Permanent Account Number through the AppStore or Play Store “Pan Card Download App.”
- After opening the app, choose NSDL or UTIITSL Pan Card.
- Tap “e-PAN Card Download.” Next, select Go to Site to visit NSDL or UTIITSL’s website.
- Give your 15-digit confirmation number.
- Click submit for OTP.
- Enter the OTP and download the card once it’s begun.
e-Pan Card Download by Pan No
- Visit the websites of NSDL or UTIITSL
- Click Download e-PAN Card (For PAN granted older than 30 days) on NSDL’s webpage. UTIITSL site.
- Select PAN Card services then Download e-PAN Enter PAN, Aadhar, DOB, and GSTN (if applicable).
- Submit and verify OTP.
- After approval, click “Download PDF.”
- The e-PAN card PDF is password-protected. The DOB is the password. Enter your birthday to see your e-PAN.
e-Pan Card Download by Aadhar Number
- Individuals having Aadhaar numbers may instantly receive their PAN.
- www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in is the department’s website.
- Follow the government’s guidelines.
- Select ‘Instant PAN with Aadhaar’ under “Quick Links.” Click ‘Get New PAN’.
- To confirm your application, provide your Aadhaar number and captcha code.
- Select ‘Generate Aadhaar OTP’ to obtain an OTP on your phone.
- Enter the OTP and you’ll receive an email and SMS confirmation number.
PAN Card Tracking/ PAN Card Status
Permanent Account Number applicants may follow their application online. NSDL or UTI online sites show PAN Card application status. You may check the PAN application status on any website. Checking PAN Card status using name and birthdate. The PAN Card status shows whether it’s been issued or is en route. It might be turned down, but it will show up there. If you put in the wrong information, you can change it in the section of this article named “How to Correct Pan Card Information Online.”
How to Correct Pan Card Information Online
One thing is to have a Permanent Account Number with the wrong information,
- Go to UTIITSL or NSDL’s official website.
- Press “Apply online.”
- Now, click on “Application Type” and choose either Form 49A or Form 49AA from the drop-down menu. Note that the first one is for Indian applicants and the second one is for applicants from other foreign countries.
- Select “Changes or Corrections to an Existing PAN Card” under “Application Type.”
- You will be taken to a new page where you must fill out the PAN card correction form with the correct information.
- Click “Submit” after you have uploaded all of the necessary documents.
- send it to the Income Tax PAN Service Unit of NSDL.
Linking Pan Card With Bank
- 1 Step: Log into your bank’s online app using your user ID and password.
- 2 Step: Select PAN registration, Service requests, or Service. Choose the best.
- 3 Step: Update or connect your PAN.
- 4 Step: Enter your PAN and other data.
- After following the steps above, your PAN and bank account should be linked within 7 working days.
Linking PAN Card with Aadhaar Card
The Indian government has mandated the connection of PAN and Aadhaar cards; otherwise, an individual’s income tax return cannot be filed.
Follow the instructions below:
Linking with SMS
- The message format for the Mobile test composer is UIDPAN followed by and. Send the message to 56161 or 567678 using the cellphone number associated with your Aadhar card (Mobile must be updated with aadhar in order to proceed further).
- You will receive a confirmation message on the pairing of your Aadhaar and PAN.
Aadhaar linking Online
Visit the Income Tax e-filing web portal in chrome. The form requires Permanent Account Number and Aadhaar numbers, and Aadhar card names. If your birth year is on Aadhar, check the box to continue. Enter the image’s captcha code to proceed. Continue by clicking ‘Link Aadhar’.
How to Apply for a Duplicate PAN Card (IF LOST)
- Visit UTIITSL or NSDL’s official website.
- On the Homepage Click “Online Application.”
- Under “Application Type,” choose “Reprint of PAN card” from the drop-down menu.
- Fill out all the required fields with the correct information, upload all required documents, and click “Submit.”
- Use the payment gateways given to pay the required fees.
- Once the duplicate process is complete, you will receive a card at your residential address within 7 days.
PAN Card Forms
The PAN Card Form, also known as Form No. 49A or Form No. 49AA, is used to issue Permanent Account Numbers (PAN). PAN cards are required for all financial transactions, and all taxpayers must have one. Every taxpayer in the nation should have a PAN card.
Form 49A: This form is for Indian residents within or outside the country. It’s used to request a new PAN and correct prior information. Non-Resident Indians utilize Form 49AA. Individuals or non-Indian corporations may use it.
Changes Made in the New PAN Design
There have been significant changes in the new pan cards, such as The cardholder’s picture being relocated to the top-left, underneath the Income Tax Department. A QR Code replaced the Hologram, which was moved to the card’s back. The applicant’s name and father’s name have been moved below the new picture. The PAN Card’s bottom-left corner shows the birthdate. The signature moved from the bottom left corner to the lower center of the PAN Card.
PAN Card Customer Care
- Income Tax Department Call Center 0124-2438000, 18001801961
- NSDL Call Center 02027218080, (022) 2499 4200
- UTIITSL Portal Call Center 022-67931300, +91(33) 40802999, Mumbai Fax: (022) 67931399
- PAN Card Tollfree Number 18001801961 1800 222 990 NSDL Tollfree