Aadhaar Biometric Lock:- Through the Aadhaar-enabled Payment System (AePS), fraudsters take money out of bank accounts using false Aadhar Card or stolen Aadhaar numbers. They claim to have even been able to withdraw money in certain instances without requiring an OTP. It’s also necessary to keep up with the most recent developments and trends around Aadhaar fraud.
Table of Contents
Aadhaar Biometric Lock 2024
Aadhaar holders can temporarily prevent their biometrics from being used for authentication by using the Aadhaar biometric lock option, which is a security feature.
Benefits of Aadhaar Biometric Lock
Aadhaar Biometric Lock be helpful in a variety of circumstances, including:
- An Aadhaar holder can use the biometric locking and unlocking service to lock and unlock their biometrics momentarily. The purpose of this feature is to improve biometric data privacy and confidentiality.
- You can lock your biometrics to stop unauthorized people from utilizing them if you misplace your Aadhaar card or device. You can lock your biometrics to safeguard your identity if you are worried that it may be compromised, for example, if your Aadhaar data has been compromised. You can lock your biometrics to increase security if you don’t intend to utilize Aadhaar authentication for a while.
Objective of Aadhaar Biometric Lock
Most scams stem from Aadhaar details being hacked during regular usage, after which scammers utilise bogus calls, texts, or internet links to trick victims. Being highly resistant to hacking, the Aadhaar system is regarded as one of the most secure digital infrastructures.
What type of biometric data is locked?
The biometric modalities of the fingerprint, iris, and face will be locked, and the Aadhaar holder would no longer be able to authenticate their identity with these biometric modalities.
What transpires if a biometric lock is set up?
The fact that biometrics—fingerprints, iris, or face—cannot be used for authentication by Aadhaar holders is confirmed by locked biometrics. The ability to halt all biometric authentication is a safety measure. Additionally, it makes sure that nobody can ever authenticate an Aadhaar holder via biometrics.
How can biometrics be unlocked?
When a resident activates the biometric locking mechanism, their biometric is locked until the Aadhaar holder selects one of the options listed below:
- Unlocking it (temporary unlocking) or
- turn off the locking mechanism
The biometric unlock can be completed using m-Aadhaar, the UIDAI website, or the enrolment centre, Aadhar Seva Kendra (ASK).
In order to utilise this service, a registered mobile number is required. If Aadhar does not have your mobile number on file, go to the closest Enrollment Centre or Mobile Update End Point.
Who should lock their biometrics, and when?
Those with registered mobile numbers associated with their Aadhaar numbers can lock their biometrics. The purpose of this feature is to improve biometric data privacy and confidentiality.
A specific error number, “330,” indicating that biometrics are locked, will be displayed and the entity will not be allowed to execute the biometric authentication if a UID is used to invoke any of the authentication services utilising a biometric modality (fingerprint, iris, or face) after biometrics have been locked.
How is the Aadhaar biometric locked?
You can utilise the UIDAI website or the mAadhaar app to lock your Aadhaar biometrics. You will not be able to utilise your biometrics for Aadhaar authentication once they have been locked unless you unlock them.
How is the online Aadhaar biometric lock done?
Follow the steps below to lock Aadhaar biometrics online
- Go to the UIDAI website.
- Select the “My Aadhaar” tab and then select “Aadhaar lock/unlock” under “Aadhaar services.”
- Enter your VID or Aadhaar number.
- Click Send OTP after completing the captcha.
- Enter the obtained OTP.
- After entering the four-digit security code shown on the screen, click the “Enable” button.
How can I use the mAadhaar app to lock my Aadhaar biometrics?
Follow the steps below to use the mAadhaar app to lock my Aadhaar biometrics.
- Get Your Adhaar Number Registered
- Put in the OTP.
- Establish a four-digit PIN.
- Select “Lock Biometrics.”
- Put in your four-digit PIN.
You should never give out your biometric information or Aadhaar number to anyone unless you are positive, they have the right to obtain it. Safeguard and store your Aadhaar card. Keep it off your person until absolutely required.