Change Name in Passport:- When traveling overseas, a passport provides as identification documentation. Thus, the correctness of the passport’s details becomes highly important. For instance, the name of the passport holder is one of the key facts listed in the document; if your name changes, your passport must be changed. Read below to check the detailed information related to How to Change Name in Passport Online & Offline, Reasons for Passport Name Correction, Required Documents, Application Fee, and much more.
Table of Contents
Change Name in Passport Online
A passport is an important document that includes all of the necessary information, such as your name and address. When traveling abroad, this important passport acts as identification documentation. Hence, the information on your passport must be current and accurate. For those who have made a mistake in their name on their passport and are in India, Indian passport name correction is a crucial subject. But if you take the necessary actions, you may quickly get it fixed.
Other Passport Related Searches
- Tatkal Passport Appointment
- Passport Renewal Online
- Police Clearance Certificate PCC for Passport
- Passport Application Status
Passport Name Correction Details in Highlights
|Name||Change Name in Passport|
|Objective||To make changes to the passport|
|Website Name||Passport Seva|
Reasons to Change Name in Passport
Some of the reasons for Passport Name Correction are as follows:
- Marriage: After getting married, many women adopt their partners’ surnames. This necessitates changing the name on the Indian passport as well.
- Personal Choice: People occasionally change their names for astrological or other reasons, such as to get a name that sounds better or has greater significance to them. Also, these circumstances call for passport name adjustment.
- Divorce: After a divorce, some people want to use their old surname again or even change it completely. A name change in the passport is necessary for this.
- Legal Name Change: If you have undergone a legal name change, your Indian passport’s name must also be updated to reflect the new name.
- Error in Spelling: If your name appears on your passport with the incorrect spelling, you must replace it.
Required Documents for Changing Name in Passport
You may be required to provide a few documents, depending on your circumstances. The following sections outline the different documents required for a change of name in the passport in India.
Changing Passport Name after Marriage
The documents required for Passport Name Correction after marriage:
- Self-attested copies of the marriage certificates
- A copy of the married woman’s passport
- A copy of the Passport of her husband
Changing Passport Name after Divorce
The documents required for Passport Name Correction after divorce:
- Certified divorce decree copy
- Affidavit or deed poll on a non-judicial stamp paper
Changing Passport Name after Re-Marriage
The documents required for Passport Name Correction after Re-Marriage:
- Proof of divorce from husband or his death certificate
- Copy of the certificate of marriage (self-attested)
- Husband’s passport copy (if available)
Changing Passport Name in Other Circumstances
The documents required for changing name in other circumstances
- Advertisement in two newspapers about changing the name
- Affidavit or deed poll on a non-judicial stamp paper
Steps to Change Name in Passport Online
For Passport Name Correction online, the user needs to follow the below-given steps:
- First of all, go to the official website of Passport Seva i.e., https://passportindia.gov.in/
- The homepage of the website will open on the screen
- Now, if you have already registered, then log in using your login credentials or else register yourself first
- Now, click on the Apply for Fresh Passport/Re-issue of Passport
- After that click on the re-issue of the passport
- Now, select the details that you want to change in your passport
- After that, the application will open on the screen
- Fill in all the required details related to changing the name on your passport
- Now, accept the terms and conditions and click on the save button
- Proceed further and choose the documents you want to submit as proof of address and date of birth
- After that, click on the submit button and make the required payment
- Take a printout of the application form and the payment receipt
- Now, book an appointment slot as per availability
- After that, upload all the required documents and download the final receipt
- You must now go to the passport office on the day of your appointment and bring the receipt for your application along with any other necessary paperwork.
- Once everything has been verified, the government will ship your revised passport to your home address.
Steps to Change Name in Passport Offline
To change the name in Passport offline, the user needs to follow the below-given steps:
- Create a Passport Name Correction affidavit first, in which the applicant’s information, including old and new names, addresses, and explanations for the request, are listed.
- The Gazette of India will publish the new name after it has been finalized. Make care to preserve duplicates of the same for reference in the future.
- Place an advertisement about the Indian passport name change in two local newspapers.
- Lastly, present your application for a new passport at the nearby Passport Seva Kendra.
Change Name in Passport Application Fee
Re-issuing the passport is necessary for the name change; the cost depends on the passport’s validity, the number of pages, and the kind of application.
|Service Type||Application Fee|
|36 pages Passport with 10-year validity||1,500 rupees|
|60 pages Passport with 10-year validity||2,000 rupees|
|Tatkal Application||2,000 (in addition to regular charges)|